Tuesday, January 03, 2006

change therapy, kindness therapy

good afternoon!

if change therapy means to attend - to pay close attention - to change, and if we all want to have and see more kindness in this world - then why don't we attend to change this! boy, that almost sounds like something that brock tully would say (only he'd do it much more smoothly:)

so it occurred to me that we could have a conversation about what kindnesses we have given the world lately, and what kindnesses we have received. a sort of kindness inventory!

i'll start with three things ...

(hm, this is not so easy. it feels like bragging ...)

okay.

kindnesses i have received:

- wonderful friends who helped me renovate my office
- people at an institution who were incredibly unbureaucratic towards me
- my 9-year-old daughter, who gives me these wonderful, soft "baby butterfly kisses"

and three things i've done:

- donated regularly to "my" three charities: foster parents, habitat for humanity, and amnesty international
- volunteered with a few organizations, e.g. canadian mental health association
- helped a friend find a shelter

okay ... why don't you write down what you've done? you can post anonymously if you wish ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

January is often a time of self inventory and reflection for me. taking this particular slant, i realize i have a great deal to be grateful for.

kindness i have received this past year...

true friendship that supports my choices and encourages me to be authentic

cooking and shopping buddies

my husband doing the dishes after a 14 hour day at work


3 things i've done

participating in the launch of my friends businesses

visiting with hospice patients

babysitting my neigbours kids

In closing I will say, i am much more comfortable giving than receiving (my own need to be needed) but a sure does a body good to feel loved.